Important Safety Tips: You should find out as much as you can about the company. Meet your prospective employers/employees face to face. You should NOT have to provide your bank account details. Stay safe - read our safety tips.
The Accounting Manager, reporting to the Senior Manager of Accounting, will lead a Team that comprises 4 professional Accountants who will be responsible for consolidation of the monthly results, internal monthly reporting, balance sheet reconciliation reviews, ad hoc analysis, accounting research, maintenance of the general ledger and support for the home office departments.
The Accounting Manager working with the Senior Manager of Accounting will be responsible for ten key finance functions, as outlined below, plus many others within the organization:
- Consolidation of the monthly results. The month end close process is accomplished in 2 to 3 days after which the results are supplied to the parent company in Hyperion. The timeliness and accuracy of these results is critical to the company and the Team. This process has been largely automated and the Accounting Manager is responsible for maintaining and further improving this process.
- Weekly revenue and gross margin reporting. The weekly revenue and gross margin results are distributed internally and are used extensively by the Management Team to make decisions that impact the direction of the company. The Accounting Manager leads this process with the Accounting Team in providing insights into the weekly results and presenting them to certain members of the Management Team.
- Balance sheet reconciliations. The Accountants are responsible for maintaining integrity of the balance sheet reconciliations. The Accounting Manager is responsible for a thorough understanding of the contents of the balance sheet accounts, reviewing the reconciliations on a monthly basis, providing guidance and training for the Accountants where needed, researching and explaining all variances and keeping the Senior Manager of Accounting and the Controller fully updated on any material issues.
- Payroll tax accounts. The Accounting Manager is responsible for working closely with the Director of Tax and the Tax Team to understand the payroll tax process and understand how the payroll tax accounts function in the balance sheet. This knowledge is crucial in determining how to analyze and reconcile the month end payroll tax accounts.
- Fixed assets. The Accounting Manager is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the fixed asset system and overseeing the continual improvements being made to the book and tax asset ledger process.
- Ad hoc analysis. The Accounting Team receives numerous requests each month for analysis on accounts or activity within the company that has not analyzed previously. The Accounting Manager is responsible for understanding the various requests, assigning the work to the appropriate Accountant, setting a realistic deadline for completion of the work, assessing the relative importance of the requests and ultimately reporting the end result.
- Accounting research. From time to time a new transaction or event will take place that requires accounting research. The Accounting Manager may be asked from time to time to perform accounting research, document the company's position and gain approval from the external auditors and Corporate Parent.
- General ledger maintenance. The company currently uses JD Edwards for its general ledger. Due to the importance of the general ledger in the Accounting Team for reporting the monthly results, performing the balance sheet reconciliations and ad hoc analysis, the Accounting Manager, working with the IT Team, is responsible for maintaining the data integrity of the system.
- Support for the Home Office departments. The Atlanta Home office houses the CEO, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Marketing, Field Operations and Human Resources departments with significant budgeted costs. The Accounting Manager is responsible for supplying these department leads with information on their monthly spending compared to budget and for supporting them in their various financial needs.
- Incentive compensation plans. The company has several incentive compensation plans designed to motivate the field organization to deliver revenue growth and profitable operations. The Accounting Manager, working with the Compensation and IT Team, is responsible for the monthly reserve entries, analysis and other reporting aspects of these highly visible plans.
Measures for Performance:
- Implementation of tight controls and procedures surrounding the month end close process to ensure timely, accurate and in depth analysis of the company’s financial results by the end of the 2nd to 3rd business day.
- Development of a streamlined and standardized process for the creation and distribution of a monthly internal financial package to the internal company Management Team and to the parent company.
- Implementation and continued maintenance and improvement of tight controls and procedures surrounding the monthly balance sheet reconciliation process to ensure timely, accurate and in depth analysis of the various company balance sheet accounts.
-Implementation of a systematic review for the payroll tax and fixed asset processes, analysis and balance sheet reconciliations to ensure integrity of the data.
- Development of analytical models that can be used to answer the various and sundry ad hoc financial questions that are presented to the Team. These models will enable the Team to respond thoroughly, professionally and timely to the many requests received.
- Implementation of standards to be used for performing accounting research for various issues to ensure compliance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and the accounting manual from Corporate.
- Implementation of daily/weekly checks and balances to ensure the data integrity of JD Edwards general ledger system. This process will provide a high level of assurance that the files from the various other operations of the company such as billing, payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable are properly received and posted.
- Development of a monthly process whereby the Accounting Team meets with the key management team members to discuss their department spending and initiatives, to better understand their costs relative to their budgets and their future spending plans and to provide a liaison between the departments.
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent coaching, mentoring and motivating skills
- Strong knowledge of technology and how to leverage within business
- Understanding and willingness to work in the details where necessary
- Financial modeling experience relevant to reporting, analysis and cost controls
- Disciplined approach in developing and implementing standardized processes and procedures to drive results
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Passion for results and improving the status quo
- Minimum 10 years experience in relevant fields
Education and Other Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting
- 3+ years in public accounting preferred
- 8 + years in industry
- Experience with Hyperion preferred
- Experience with JD Edwards and/or PeopleSoft a real plus
- Advanced Excel skills