Below is a template job description. Every clients job description is a little different.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. If job assignment includes tissue culture: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently performs tissue culture of assigned specimen types, including culture initiation, maintenance, and harvest. Also performs slide preparation and staining for microscopic analysis.
2. If job assignment includes microscopic analysis:
Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards, applying additional staining/testing procedures when indicated, and preparing karyotypes using established cytogenetic laboratory procedures.
3. If job assignment includes fluorescence in situ hybridization:
Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently processes assigned specimen types, including slide preparation, pretreatment, hybridization, postwash, and counterstain for microscopic analysis using appropriate quality control standards.
Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity and quality control standards.
4. Documents and maintains tissue culture and/or microscopy analysis records completely and accurately. Documents chromosome or FISH abnormalities using correct ISCN nomenclature and best assessment of breakpoints.
5. Ensures accurate specimen processing/test results by strict adherence to testing methodology and quality standards.
6. Possesses appropriate computer skills (CAPS, Tandem, etc) to accomplish tasks.
7. Participates in quality assurance, quality control, and quality improvement programs.
8. Participates in training of technologists and other laboratory personnel, including visiting students and fellows, as needed. Participates in reviewing training checklists to reflect current laboratory procedures.
9. Attends departmental meetings as required and participates in the department’s continuing education program.
10. Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional, and sanitary condition.
11. Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements.
12. Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
13. Performs other job-related duties as assigned by competent authority.
BS/BA or related degree in science
Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation). United States educated candidates must provide a detailed original transcript.
One year of previous experience in a clinical cytogenetics laboratory
1. Microscopic analysis requires extended periods sitting at a microscope.
2. Tissue culture requires extended periods of standing, sitting at a biohazard hood, or pipetting.
3. Sound theoretical and operational knowledge of job assignment(s) in cytogenetics.
4. Proven problem solving skills for job assignment(s).
5. The ability to effectively plan, organize, and complete work assignments.
6. Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
7. Good written and verbal communication skills.
Important Safety Tips: You should find out as much as you can about the company. Meet your prospective employers/employees face to face. You should NOT have to provide your bank account details. Stay safe - read our safety tips.